The Friends of State Opera of South Australia Inc (“The Friends”), exists to support opera in South Australia, particularly State Opera South Australia.
Since 1976, The Friends has been and continues to be a proud supporter of State Opera South Australia. The close relationship we have with State Opera is reflected in a Partnership Agreement that recognises our promotion and sponsorship of this art form and reciprocally provides benefits for our members.
Each year The Friends sponsor a main stage production and provide scholarships and grants to support the development of emerging operatic talent, singers and creatives.
Opera is a musical and theatrical experience; complex, captivating and emotional, arguably at the peak of the performing arts, so inevitably it can be expensive to produce. Going to the opera is a vital way of ensuring the financial sustainability of our State Opera and we encourage all Friends members together with their family and friends to attend as many productions as possible. Let us try and fill every seat for every performance because those ticket sales are a lifeline for opera!
Benefits to members
- Most importantly as a member of The Friends, you will be supporting opera in SA and young emerging artists.
- ‘Behind the Scenes with The Friends’; an introduction to productions co-hosted by The Friends and State Opera where you meet and hear from a diverse range of singers and creatives, including; directors, writers, conductors, composers. Gain insights into the background of an opera and learn about what goes into putting a production together.
- Social and fund raising events often featuring singers and creatives.
- A quarterly Friends Newsletter
- Complimentary invitations to observe a workshop development of some productions.
- Pre-sale window for specified State Opera events.
The Friends are sponsoring a State Opera main stage production in 2021. Details as to what, when and where will be provided in State Opera’s production announcements.
The Friends provided a scholarship which was awarded to a young South Australian singer to attend State Opera’s inaugural, Summer Opera Academy in February 2021. Due to COVID-19 restrictions the Academy has been moved to July 2021. Watch the State Opera website for more information as it becomes available.
Helping our Artists
The Friends has always been a strong supporter of our operatic artists, particularly young and emerging artists, the long-term future of opera. While we transition through this difficult time of restrictions and changes brought about by social distancing rules in response to the pandemic, we need to support our artists and creative talent more than ever. The arts community, including opera, has been particularly badly affected by these pandemic-related changes. The Friends remain committed to providing funding and sponsorship but also encourage our members to assist individually, where possible, in these difficult times.
For more information about how to make a donation to State Opera South Australia go to www.stateopera.com.au/donate/
The Friends has a Constitution-driven governance structure administered on behalf of the membership by an elected committee.
For enquiries, further information or to join The Friends, email firstname.lastname@example.org