State Opera South Australia (State Opera) values and respects the privacy of its customers and participants. State Opera is committed to protecting all personal details securely and sensitively, in accordance with the Australian Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 (Act). As a Statutory Authority, State Opera is bound by the privacy protocol dictated by government and takes all privacy matters seriously.
This statement outlines how we deal with your personal information, whether it is collected by phone, in person, through audition or participation application, through an e-newsletter, through entering a competition, or through any online or other electronic media. It also outlines your privacy rights; our general rights and obligations; and explains how you can access the information relevant to you that we may keep. This statement acts as a policy for internal State Opera staff members.
Personal information is collected and retained concerning past and current ticket purchasers, past and present artists and members of the creative team, past and present staff and board members, volunteers, and stakeholders for the primary purpose of operating State Opera. All information collected is directly applicable to the activities of the organisation and to the health, well-being and protection of its customers and participants. Ticket purchase information is provided to State Opera via professional ticketing service providers (primarily BASS Ticketing) via secure transfer, and in line with their own privacy and customer data collection policies. The provision of all personal information is voluntary. However, without certain personal information, we may not be able to sell you a ticket, process an application, fulfil your request to become a donor or sponsor, or provide you with an appropriate level of service.
4.0 How data is collected
State Opera collects personal information in a variety of ways depending on the type of contact or association you have with the organisation. The following are examples of activities through which personal information may be collected, and the methods of collection:
• Purchasing tickets to any State Opera event through a ticketing agency, online, over the phone, or in person
• Making an individual donation online, over the phone, in person, or via a hardcopy form or submitting a cheque or cash payment
• Submitting an audition application online, over the phone, in person, or via hardcopy form
• Accepting work with State Opera and submitting completed employee information forms / signing a contract issued by State Opera that requires personal information
• Applying to be a participant in a State Opera initiative or event, online, over the phone, in person, or via a hardcopy form
• Providing goods or services to State Opera and receiving a payment, whether via payroll or supplier invoice
• Registering as a member of the organisation’s e-marketing lists through the organisation’s website, over the phone, via a hardcopy sign-up sheet, or any other means
• Through any other activity and means that relate directly to State Opera ‘s operations
Collection of information will occur at the time you provide details to State Opera or its authorised agents or, in the case of electronic services, when you use our electronic services to obtain information or transact with us.
5.0 Why personal information is collected and how it is used
State Opera collects personal information in order to service the needs of its customers and stakeholders. Specifically, State Opera may use your personal information to:
- Conduct business communications, for example:providing you with services you have requested;
- processing and managing your purchase or donation;
- processing your transaction under the terms of our credit card merchant agreements governing credit card transactions;
- contacting you if we have difficulties with your transaction;
- contacting you if events change;
- sending you your tickets via mail or to your electronic device;
- sending you confirmation about your ticket booking, via email or fax;
- sending you a receipt for your donation to STATE OPERA;
- responding to requests or enquiries made by you;
- corresponding with you about a competition you have entered.
- Ensure that you can access the venue of a performance or to help protect your health and safety should an adverse health incident take place while you are attending or participating in a State Opera initiative.
- Conduct direct marketing by sending you special offers, news and updates (provided you have not opted out from receiving this material) including, without limitation, the following:
- sending you marketing material (including, without limitation, requests for feedback and material promoting third party products or services);
- corresponding with you about a competition;
- sending you special offers about State Opera and third party events, merchandise, products or services;
- conducting research or surveys;
- for fundraising purposes.
- Undertake observations and analysis of audience choices, preferences, behaviour and characteristics.
- For system administration, protection and maintenance including identifying and controlling system abuse and preventing activity that would compromise State Opera’s cyber security.
6.0 Types of information collected
In order to prepare legally sound contracts, maintain our payroll system, and ensure we have relevant details in the case of an emergency, State Opera requests information from artists including full name, contact details, gender, immigration and insurance status, and banking details. For the purposes of casting, we may maintain information on your vocal type and career history. For the purposes of costume fittings, we may maintain information on your height, dress size, and other measurements. We may also request information relating to your artistic representation (agent), and may keep your photographic image (your headshot) on file.
In order to ensure participant safety and fulfil our duty of care, State Opera may request information including full name, contact details, gender, and parent / guardian details if the participant is under 18 years of age. State Opera may request health and medical information (such as allergies or conditions that may require monitoring) and information regarding any accessibility requirements. State Opera may also request education information and past performing arts experience if relevant.
Customer (including donor and sponsor) information
As an individual donor, sponsor or customer State Opera may request you to provide information that enables us to contact you such as address, phone and fax numbers and email addresses. State Opera may also ask for any specific health details, if necessary, to enable us to attend to specific seating requirements at events or concerts and to ensure your comfort and well-being.
Employee personal information
State Opera collects personal information about its employees in the course of its human resource management function. Contact details, leave entitlements and performance management is kept by the organisation and updated on a regular basis. Access to employees’ personal information is restricted to the Chief Executive Officer, Chief Operating Officer, and Finance staff.
7.0 Email, website, and online services
State Opera may use your e-mail address to send you from time to time various promotional offers, program information, special events or marketing communications that may be of interest to you. It is our policy to only e-mail customers who give us permission to do so. If we send you an e-mail for a commercial purpose, we will give you the option of not receiving further communications of this nature.
State Opera’s website has the ability to track and use IP addresses to analyse trends, administer the site, track users’ movements, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. We may also share aggregated geographical, demographical, or other general identifiers with media agencies, advertisers and social media partners so that we can provide you with customised content when you visit certain websites. This is not linked to any personal information that can identify any individual person.
We will use any collected information to improve our service to users, and from time to time may contact registered users about new features and improvements to the website. STATE OPERA will take all reasonable steps to ensure that personal information is secure from any unauthorised access or disclosure. Security procedures will be reviewed and updated as required.
8.0 Disclosure of personal information
State Opera will not sell, lend, disclose, or give personal information of its customers or stakeholders to any external individual or organisation without first obtaining the customer or stakeholder’s consent, unless a disclosure is required by law. The organisation may however, contact members or customers on behalf of other organisations to offer discount tickets or information regarding their products.
9.0 Keeping personal information accurate and secure
State Opera is committed to ensuring that the personal information it collects and uses is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, the accuracy of this personal information to a large extent relies on the information provided by customers and stakeholders. You should promptly notify us if there are any changes to your personal information.
State Opera takes reasonable steps to protect all the personal information it receives. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format, and we aim to keep your information for no longer than is necessary for the purposes for which it can be lawfully used. Only authorised personnel have access to our customer’s personal information.
10. Copyright and disclaimer
Unless otherwise stated, all content on our website is copyright State Opera South Australia and must not be re-used without prior written permission from State Opera.
Every reasonable effort has been made to ensure that the information presented on our website is correct and up to date, and State Opera reserves all rights to change any information on our website at any time without notice.
State Opera maintains an up to date Privacy Statement on its website for public view. State Opera reviews its policies and procedures from time to time to ensure compliance and best practice. Therefore, this Privacy Statement may be amended, modified or waived at the discretion of State Opera in accordance with applicable laws and regulation.
11. Access and further information
At any time customers and stakeholders have the right of access to their personal information or State Opera’s privacy practices. To make a request or inquiry please call on (08) 8226 4790, email email@example.com, or contact the Privacy Officer, State Opera South Australia, PO Box 211 MARLESTON, SA 5033.