” A great experience for us just entering the industry.” – Alex, 17
Join us for our second Opera Winter School and be a part of a busy, working opera company. Winter School 2020 is open to senior secondary and tertiary students who have a passion for the stage.
Monday 24 June – Saturday 6 July 2019
The Inaugural Winter School comprised of daily performance, music and stage-craft coaching alongside the development and rehearsals of State Opera’s new production of Boojum! The School culminated in three public performances of Boojum! at the Dunstan Playhouse on Friday 5 and Saturday 6 July
Join us for our second Opera Winter School and be a part of a busy, working opera company from 6-18 July
- Applicants should currently be enrolled in upper-secondary or tertiary studies. (Proof may be requested)
- There is not a strict age limit, but all participants must be able to cope with the physical and mental demands of an intensive rehearsal environment
- Strong music skills are required (AMEB Gr 7 or equivalent)
- Advanced music-reading skills are recommended
- A strong working command of English is required
- All participants must be available to attend ALL rehearsals and performances.
- All participants must be able to attend rehearsals at various Adelaide locations including State Opera Studio, Netley and Adelaide Festival Centre
We believe every young person has the right to education and opportunity. Thanks to our supporters, State Opera will be able to offer assistance to some applicants who meet the appropriate criteria.
- Bursaries are available for those facing financial hardship.
- Merit-based Scholarships are available to candidates of exceptional standard or genuine artistic potential
You may be required to provide evidence.
Applicants are required to email a current CV, headshot and a digital audition video of no more than 5 mins, containing an aria or equivalent piece of music. Recordings are accepted as YouTube, Vimeo or Dropbox links via the application form.
Applicants selected may be requested to attend a live audition in the beginning of 2020 for the audition panel.
Full payment is to be made prior to Winter School commencing.
Thanks to our supporters, State Opera plans offer a small number of bursaries and scholarships for participants who meet criteria.
All participants must travel to Adelaide at their own expense to participate in auditions and the program.
Expressions of interest opens February 2020
- Applicants will be asked to provide an audition video of no more than 5 mins which includes an aria or equivalent piece or music
- Applicants will be asked to submit the application form with a current CV and headshot
- Applications will be subject to a non-refundable administration fee of $50
State Opera South Australia Acknowledges The Friends of State Opera as the principal partner of Winter School.